Tuesday, May 8, 2012

This is Not My Title: Mandatory Blog Post


I should start by explaining this post’s delay (insert quintessential student excuse. I typed the whole thing out and then tried to move an image and boom - entire post lost. True story).

I have tried to write this post almost ten times over the past few days, but I haven’t really “felt” compelled to say much at all. In fact, I tend to become completely enraged when I think about how heteronormative ideals affect people’s lives daily. What DiGrazia and Boucher, Alexander and Rhodes, and Yep have to say is not just about a few queer-focused assignments in a classroom for the sake of diversity and tolerance; they are speaking about the justifications “moral” people use to control, limit, and stigmatize my life. I’ve been finding it difficult to focus the reflective post on anything more than a sob story about the myriad obstacles that my queerness poses, particularly regarding same-sex marriage or at least a future that involves some legal protections. In fact, I was listening to NPR this morning and heard about Proposal One, which is being voted on Tuesday in North Carolina. Same-sex marriage is already illegal in NC, but this amendment would further ban same-sex marriages, including civil unions or any related benefits. (Wonderful Wikipedia has a stellar visual aid to demonstrate the "red" I'm seeing regarding this issue.) It’s a ban-amendment to an already-in-place ban amendment. Yep, heteronormativity!



Although the “Unpacking the Hetero Privilege Knapsack” exercise felt like a flop and I wish the discussion been more lively from the onset, I was happy our conversation gained momentum as the class progressed. Yep’s piece was a tremendous supplement to the readings and the lines Alexander and Rhodes blur in Queered. The video fit nicely with the expressivist collage-based assignments and the textual analysis DiGrazia and Boucher included in their course. If the “Writing InQueeries” class were to be remixed/revised/revisited, I think Queered would be a valuable addition. In fact, it could be used as a sample because it covers so many of their assignment goals. I am satisfied with the article I chose, but I found it difficult to balance the focus between queer theory and rhetoric and the applications of the Composition classroom. It felt synthetic and forced at times to keep pushing the discussion back to Composition, which was entirely a self-imposed pressure. On the other hand, from the start, the discussion contained threads of Alexander and Rhodes and Yep, which felt organic and comprehensive. I’m most interested in notions of non-queer and queer authority, which we talked about through different avenues throughout the class period. Even though we did touch on the violence issue, I wish we had done more there. Initially I planned to start with the opening scene of Middle Sexes: Redefining He and She, but the computer froze so I turned to my back-up plan. I sincerely hope the class members found some value in the article I chose, if only for one small reason.

One thing DiGrazia and Boucher’s article does is, hopefully, inspire readers to create assignments that capture Foucault’s focus on harmful discursive power structures that function to regulate individuals inside of their own homes and exert control and normalization processes on their physical bodies. It seems that DiGrazia and Boucher’s dream class includes assignments that focus mainly around self-reflection and transformative writing, but I’m more interested in the second assignment, the textual analysis paper. It seems that a visual analysis would be a good “foot-in-the-door” for this type of critical work. And I think our students are ready for it. My students begin the visual analysis unit by choosing a Banksy image (they are then free to move to other images for the actual essay, or they can stick with a Banksy image and find another to use as well). Every quarter, a handful of them are drawn to this one in particular (I do not/will not use Pinterest, but I encourage someone to pin this):




Without even realizing it, Banksy is a perfect example of queer rhetoric; he resists and challenges norms and he queers “art.” His ethos is questioned, his legitimacy is doubted, and he operates in a liminal, trans sort of legal area. He pushes back against authority and exposes ugly truths by disrupting the things we claim make us who we are. This queer layering could provide for some interesting discussions, so I’m going to experiment more with the queer rhetoric lens alongside Banksy next semester.

PS – if you haven’t yet read Stone Butch Blues (by Leslie Feinberg), please do so. When you read it, you’ll understand why. 

4 comments:

  1. Hillery,

    I, for one, really enjoyed your chosen article and discussion. To be honest, I had little experience with queer rhetoric before our class discussion, and our talking only made me more curious to learn more about it. Maybe the fact that we had trouble with the knapsack activity was because we truly don't realize all the heteronormative privileges we have! I wish we had a whole week to study queer theory, because I have many more questions.

    -Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a student choose a Banksy installment for a rhetorical analysis project we did last quarter but I had never thought of this artist as "queer." Thanks for that connection. Would love to hear more about your aversion to Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice title, btw. One of my students named his class blog "Mandatory Class Blog"- he is, of course, one of the most thoughtful students in the class. but it really got me thinking: what does it mean when we require (coerce?) students to critique and "liberate" themselves from "harmful discursive power structures that...regulate...and exert control...and normalize"?


    In my teaching this quarter, I've been thinking a lot about how, despite anything I can do to avoid it, as a composition teacher I regulate and control the writing my student's produce. As soon as I open my mouth to talk about an assignment, provide a rubric, interpret a text, I am governing what and how they will write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt - that title, as pronounced, was not mine: it was borrowed from your student, so thanks!

    But it has got me thinking about this blog and reaching the post minimum enforced by a deadline. I like the idea of opening discussion through other avenues, but how can we do so in a queer context to welcome and engage resistance? I too have been struggling with the authority of assignment sheets after Rhetorical Traditions - how do we negotiate that tension and find a healthy balance (between guidance and prescription)?

    Although this should go under your Pinterest post, which was GENIUS by the way, I'm sure my aversion can be attributed to the same reasons you mention. I also keep my social media engulfment to Facebook because I don't think I can handle posting/pinning/checking anything else...

    ReplyDelete