Thursday, May 3, 2012

Post-Discussion Reflection Language Ecology

Even though I tried my best to search for a good article that might fit our discussion on complexity, I was kind of scared that my selection of Hornberger and Hult's article might not be interesting to discuss. However, I think that was a nice discussion and  have to thank everybody for their enthusiasm in the discussion.I found several points particularly interesting in the discussion and may connect to the discussion on complexity.

First, I learned how there has been a 'segregation' in the teaching of composition in US where native and nonnative speakers are separated. I completely understand the reason why such a segregation has to be done. However, I also think that there are some problems with that, especially regarding the phenomenon of World Englishes. The fact that there are more nonnative speakers speaking English than the native speaker will entail that whenever we communicate globally, it is more likely that we communicate (both orally and in written form) with non native speakers. Thus, there may be some problems not only in the level of structure (grammar) but also in the level of discourse, that is, how different cultures are building their discourse. I am glad that some of composition teachers start to think about this and adopt this approach to their class by teaching the differences in how text in different language background.

Second I also remember we discussed briefly about pidgin and lingua franca. I guess they are good examples of language ecology. They are some instances of how languages interact with each other, influence each other and at a certain time reached an equilibrium and developed into a new system. I think that what I understand as complexity and ecology. What amazes me about pidgin is that after the discussion I realized that in the interactions between languages, even a minority language will somehow survive and try to reach its stability by assimilation with other components (languages).

I guess there are a lot that I need to learn about complexity especially regarding complexity in writing. I hope there will be more discussion on this.

2 comments:

  1. I found it to be a rich discussion. I agree with your point about the problem of segregation. Our current composition teaching tends to be quite culturally specific--teaching rhetorical flexibility within academic and public discourses of the US for the most part. So foreign students here, even speakers of WE, if mainstreamed at the first year level, are currently expected to perform well within cultural constraints that are quite different from those they face in the home cultures to which many intend to return.

    That raises the issue of how integration is as much an issue for US composition curricula as one for the second language students. How do we move toward a more complex, ecological and supple approach to teaching writing in the context of global English? What aspects of intercultural communication need to be taught? What do US composition instructors need to learn from the ESL field? And, what can ESL learn from Rhet/Comp.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that there are a lot of things that we need to think before such an integration may take place. Maybe the first step is to raise an awareness that we live in a diverse world, where people communicate in many different ways?

    ReplyDelete