Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Our Post-Everything Discussion


For the majority of class today I was lost in thought about various points we touched on, so I apologize for that. To make up for it, I am writing this blog post! J (Hey, it's week nine, I think we're all a little distracted).

The concept of Public Intellectual is an intriguing one for me. While we discussed what a public intellectual does (nomadic peoples who traverse/mediate the boundaries of academic/popular), I found myself thinking "holy crap, I want to be a public intellectual!" But then I realized that public intellectuals are somehow less respectable. Does this come from the academic community or from the public community? I just don't see how the talent to relate to both "discourse communities" can ever be looked down upon. Maybe this comes from the crux of my teaching philosophy, which attempts to be relatable to students no matter the circumstance. I'd like to base my scholarship on pop culture and digital media trends, which might make me seem like "less" of a scholar.

Another tangent I found myself wandering was our discussion of engaged professionalism as it relates to Gallagher's assertions for improving "the academy" (which is in quotes because I feel like the concept of "the academy" is an untouchable force into which we are all trying to achieve entry…. Gee…. Which scholar does that statement imitate….) Anyway, I thought to myself "fuck yea! Academy reform!" Like Ashley, I am very nervous about the pressure to publish, to complete adequate "service" (whatever that means), and achieve tenure. Then, our discussion evolved into the "evils" of tenure and how the system oppresses us all. If it is so bad, I wonder why it's been around so long! Probably tradition. It's sad… Dr. Rouzie rightly stated that an institution focused more on pedagogy than scholarship is closer to the community it serves, but tenure and advancement in the field is based on scholarship. I find myself caught between the two. I would ideally like to focus on pedagogy/teaching for the majority of my time, but without emphasizing scholarship I have little hope of ever achieving the tenure I desire. I know that the situation is meant to advance scholarship in the field, but I wonder how many people like myself are turned off of scholarship simply because it is required in this manner. It's like a little kid who only cleans his room to get the nagging mommy of his back.  I share a worry similar to Sarah's story about searching for articles; what if more and more bullshit for the sake of publishing makes its way into "scholarship"? "The Academy" might find that it has made a horrible mistake (to bring in a famous Arrested Development quote). Maybe writer's concerns for their reputation will keep that from happening. 

I know this post is a tad disjointed, as are the workings of my mind lately. What are your thoughts on public intellectuals? Gallagher's suggestions for improving the field? Tenure?

11 comments:

  1. Actually, I'm pumped to publish. It's just that I want to have valuable contributions, not crap that gets written for the most obscure journal ever so I can fluff up my CV. (Sarah mentioned this lack of quality with the sketchy publications on syllabi she's finding.) Also, I want to want to publish, not have to publish.

    WAH WAH WAHHHHH. No more whining. At least not tonight. Bahahahahahahahahahaha (it's week nine, I'm losing my mind.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reminds me of the 90s song "I want you to want me" hahahaha.

      Delete
    2. Good God, but you're young, Brianna. That song came out in 1977, not the 1990s!

      Delete
    3. Late to the conversation, I just am trying to solve this problem by making my scholarship about pedagogy. Poof and voila! I've magically concentrated my powers into one place.

      Delete
  2. I'm wondering if it's always been this angsty to be a graduate student, or if it's worse right now because every time we turn around we get told we're never going to get jobs. Weekly, it seems there are articles in the Chronicle with titles like "From Graduate School to Welfare" and "Masters Student in English: Will Mow Lawns" and "U. of Idaho Settles With Family of Graduate Student Shot Dead by Professor." (Okay, that last one is just a really tragic thing that happened and not indicative of anything germane... feel free to play "name that logical fallacy.")

    I don't know about anyone else, but at the end of my first year as a PhD student, I have the overwhelming sense that what common wisdom is that getting this degree is foolish, selfish, and without value to the larger culture. I was really excited when I got here, and now I'm pretty much demoralized. Is this just first year blues, or is there something going on to which we should be paying greater attention?

    Should we all be asking Hillery if we can work for her at Starbucks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for writing out my thoughts with such articulation!!! I really just hope this is first-year angst, and that we will all find wonderful jobs (in a timely manner) once we graduate. is that really too much to ask??

      Delete
    2. Sarah--
      A professor in undergrad told me that grad school is a hazing process. HAZING. So, there's that.
      I'm sure we're angsty in part because we are told we'll never get jobs by everyone outside of the English department and often from people in the English department.
      My uneducated theory is that the baby boomers are retiring or will retire soon and we can pounce on their jobs.

      Delete
    3. If this is hazing, shouldn't there be more liquor involved?

      Delete
  3. I like Ashley's theory. Let's go with that. Also, as adjuncts become more and more utilized in higher education, I think it's likely we'll never actually be unemployed. It's just that whether we actually make a living wage is a different question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, that SO does not make me feel any better. The idea of being a fifty year old adjunct who has to drive to three schools to make ends meet is MORE depressing than the idea of unemployment. At this point, I don't even really aspire to tenure. I just aspire to an instructor position with a long-term contract. You know, one that's at least two semesters long and includes health insurance.

      Delete
  4. I think VV would (re)call it "career hope" which is of course the flipside of career despair. Of course he's had a good career wittily trashing the metanarratives of the West.

    I wonder if the (perverse) idea of "little narratives" might be a helpful way forward in the fiery hoops of academic and personal identity.

    ReplyDelete