Friday, April 6, 2012

My Appalachia (Response to Sohn)


My Appalachia

A view of downtown Pikeville. Credit: Social Media Explorer: "What Small Towns can Teach us about Social Business"
Katherine Sohn’s “Whistlin’ and Crowin’ Women of Appalachia: Literacy Practices since College” was the first article about Appalachia to which I positively responded. Before I get to the “epiphany” moment, you all must first know how I felt about my own roots before this study.

Growing up in Pikeville was an interesting experience, one that I had trouble seeing positively. Pike County had the largest rates of obesity and cancer in the state due to poor diet and the rampant coal dust that settled up to an inch per night on every outside surface. Not to mention the education seemed lacking; I never wrote a research paper before college and still know little of basic geography, chemistry, or math. My parents told me that the schools made a big celebration of 8th grade graduation because most of my peers would not go on to graduate from high school (they were right). “Insiders” were privileged over “outsiders” for jobs, so if you didn’t know the right people you were out of luck. The youth had little opportunities for fun except turning to drugs and alcohol. My schooling was my ticket out of that one-horse town, and I pursued every opportunity—Booth Scholars, Governor’s Scholars, Academic Team, Future Problem Solving, etc. I am incredibly lucky to be a child of two academics who value education as a means to prosperity. Of my graduating class of 70, a handful went to college close to home and slowly but surely most have dropped out. I felt like the ambassador for my high school, away at graduate school, the prodigal student who everyone could look up to. When my grandfather passed away, my family moved to Northern Kentucky and I never looked back. I focused on suppressing any trace of the Eastern Kentucky accent that would differentiate me from my undergraduate peers.

But then I read Sohn.

The Pikeville that Sohn describes is the same Pikeville of my childhood/adolescence. She mentions the coal trucks, hollers, poverty, religion, and mines. Curiously, she left out Hillbilly Days, an annual festival of the entire Appalachian/Eastern Kentucky region where participants don their best stereotypical Hillbilly gear/attitude and gather in downtown Pikeville to “celebrate” their heritage and donate money to the Shriners Hospital. Anyway, my fears that Sohn would portray an inaccurate picture of Pikeville and Pikeville College (now University of Pikeville) were put at ease. My mother was a nursing instructor there and I was heavily involved in their music and high school outreach programs.
Hillbilly Days. Credit: www.visitpikeville.com
 Sohn helped me realize that literacy is not just a means to prosperity, but it is a practical way for people (especially those like the women in her study) to become independent, confident, and empowered. Maybe their goal was never to go to graduate school or even to secure a college degree, and that’s okay. Strikingly few natives of Appalachia (although the number is rising) ever move within 50 miles of their birthplace, but that’s okay too. Sohn describes this phenomenon as a “security blanket” because Appalachia is a safe and moral place to raise children (425). Because so many Appalachians remain close to home, they are under-represented, excluded, and stereotyped by the mainstream. I, for one, cringe whenever I hear the beginnings of an “outsider” making a sweeping statement about Appalachia.

Pikeville College's "99", Credit: Appalachian College Association website
Instead of negatively picturing Pikeville in my mind, I realize that I am a link between many literacy narratives. I have a very unique perspective. I am Appalachian, whether I talk like it or not. I am shy, fearing the “discrimination because of Appalachian birthplace” (Sohn 448). I feel I have something to prove, which contributes to my overzealous work ethic. Mostly, I am humbled by my opportunities. Dr. Rouzie called this epiphany an “alienation factor,” which lets one step back and evaluate what was once blindly believed about literacy.

In class we discussed the ways in which literacy changes relationships with the community, how religion influences literacy, and the difficulty of transitioning from the academic to the public sphere.  Instead of contributing my own lengthy literacy narrative to this forum, I will say that those outside Appalachia should not realize their position as privileged, but simply different. Education matters to all, but in very different ways. As one of our classmates pointed out, studying Appalachia helps us all to realize that we don’t see, value, or study.

Were your opinions or preconceived notions of Appalachia changed by reading Sohn’s study? What questions would you like to ask me about the culture or people?

3 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Brianna. I too have mixed feelings about the piece. I often wonder about the rhetorical implications of "naming" Appalachia. Even in a positive (liberatory) research narrative such as Sohn-what are the implications of an essentialized Appalachian identity? On one hand, scholarship like this valorizes the existence of a marginalized/stereotyped population; it problematizes the construct of the mainstream comp student. But does it also reinforce negative essentialisms about Appalachia/Appalachians? Are these women "exceptions to the rule" because of their academic experiences? Furthermore, who profits from this research? The subjects or the scholar? The community or the University?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the name "Appalachian" is what gets to me most, because the connotations that come with it are (in my mind) negative and sometimes untrue. For example, many assume that Appalachians are ignorant or do not have opportunities for advanced education. In reality, many know they are ignorant and simply do not take the opportunities for education because education does not fit their practical needs. I know that studying the region is necessary, and assigning a name just makes that easier. I just wish it wasn't impossible to let go of the stereotype/implications that come with being "Appalachian." Honestly, I don't think the subjects profit from the research unless they know/understand what it is about, and unless those in power decide to change the situation. We are a group of students reading Sohn's article and saying "oh that's nice" and discussing the various aspects she brings up- but how will the region/women benefit from that unless we actively do something? Who says that there are any problems in Appalachia?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the considerations of the term "Appalachian" are hugely important, for the exact reasons you pose. I've been reading some of Kim Donehower's work, and she seems to be advocating not only the de-emphasizing of the term, but also the de-emphasizing of the concept of Appalachia as a distinct cultural group/s, as this separation contributes to stereotyping. Personally, I'm not sure about this last part; I'm not convinced ignoring cultural differences would benefit anybody, and I'm more of a celebrate-your-differences kind of hippie by nature, but I think your last question hits at a root consideration that gets overlooked in all this: WHO SAYS? Who gets to decide things about "Appalachia," if such a monolithic term is even relevant? Great questions.

    ReplyDelete